Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video Refining the scene, part of Introduction to Video Editing.
- We have laid in our interview clips,…and we have continued adding B roll,…and things are coming along really well.…The thing is that the editing is all…about finessing now, figuring out…when you need to tighten up a series of shots,…when you need to let them breathe,…when edits need to come earlier or later,…and when you need to see a different shot…or a different part of the same shot.…There are several things that I'd like to do…to keep refining this scene.…I've got several markers placed in this sequence,…and they each represent a different issue…that I'd like to look at.…
Let's come to this first section here,…and I'm just going to park here,…and then +, + to zoom in.…Let's just listen.…- All my recipe are all my own creations.…- I just want this edit of when I get…the close-up of Jean-Michel to come in…right as he starts talking.…So we get the chocolate-making process…up until that point,…and then let's just cut to his close-up.…We already know that if I want to trim,…I can grab the edge here and pull back…
- Exploring an editor's role in storytelling
- Understanding film grammar
- Learning when to follow and when to break editing "rules"
- Exploring shot and lens movement, as well as timing and pacing
- Getting to know video editing software
- Editing narrative scenes
- Editing documentaries
- Looking at the role of sound design, effects, and color correction
- Next steps for training and development
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Premiere Pro: Documentary Editingwith Jason Osder3h 48m Intermediate
Final Cut Pro X v10.1.x: Documentary Editingwith Diana Weynand2h 56m Intermediate
1. Exploring Story
What is story?2m 47s
2. The Grammar of Editing
3. Exploring Nonlinear Editing Applications
4. Editing a Short Narrative Scene
5. Editing a Short Documentary
6. Understanding Additional Post-Production Processes
Next steps2m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.