Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video Refining the scene: Trimming and matching to music, part of Introduction to Video Editing.
- We've got our scene assembly laid…for scenes one, two and three.…We've chosen specific parts of each shot to include,…and we've laid everything in order.…In this movie, we're going to focus…on really getting the timing and pacing right.…The thing that's going to help us with that…is cutting it to the music.…All right. Let's first take a listen to the music.…It's in Assets and Music,…and it's this one, Red Checkered Tablecloth.…Let's give it a play.…(upbeat, whimsical accordion music)…Okay. So it's definitely some European accordion music.…
As you can tell, it's upbeat and whimsical.…It also has really nice beat.…We're going to let this music help us along…in establishing the mood…and in really finessing our timing and pacing…of each of these scenes,…and on a shot-by-shot level.…Other things that I think we're going to do…as we refine the scene…are to speed up quite a few of the shots,…again, to sort of match the mood, tempo…and style of the music.…Keep that in mind.…But before worrying about the music quite yet,…
- Exploring an editor's role in storytelling
- Understanding film grammar
- Learning when to follow and when to break editing "rules"
- Exploring shot and lens movement, as well as timing and pacing
- Getting to know video editing software
- Editing narrative scenes
- Editing documentaries
- Looking at the role of sound design, effects, and color correction
- Next steps for training and development
Skill Level Intermediate
Premiere Pro: Documentary Editingwith Jason Osder3h 48m Intermediate
Final Cut Pro X v10.1.x: Documentary Editingwith Diana Weynand2h 56m Intermediate
1. Exploring Story
What is story?2m 47s
2. The Grammar of Editing
3. Exploring Nonlinear Editing Applications
4. Editing a Short Narrative Scene
5. Editing a Short Documentary
6. Understanding Additional Post-Production Processes
Next steps2m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.