Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Re-editing The Assurance, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- [Instructor] Most of the time, after watching…your rough cut, you might remove a scene or two…or you might decide to add back in scenes…that you've previously cut.…This is quite common…because often when you're sitting with the edit…for a while, you get so familiar with it…that things often begin to feel unnecessary.…You might assume that the audience…will infer what's going on…based on other subtle things that happen in the film…but then after getting feedback from people…that haven't been sitting with the film…for dozens of hours…that things don't make sense,…you might determine that some details…need to be added back in.…
And in some cases, you might even need…to add new scenes and do pick up shoots.…This is just as common on low budget films…as it is in huge Hollywood blockbusters.…Art is hard.…No one has this completely figured out,…so pick up shoots are fairly common…but it's not very common to completely tell…a different story in post production…like we did on The Assurance.…But the most important elements,…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.