Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video Planning the edit, part of Introduction to Video Editing.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- In this chapter, we're going to take…quite a different approach.…We're going from a fun, upbeat,…somewhat silly film set to music…to a short documentary that is driven by…interviews and b-roll.…The interviews are going to be…the foundation for this piece,…so we'll focus on those first.…Then we'll find the appropriate b-roll,…which is the visuals that will help supplement the story.…Finally, we'll finish it off with some music and titles.…So where do we start?…If you watched the movie in the previous chapter…on organizing our assets,…you saw that we went through all of our footage…and our interviews and subclipped everything out.…
In terms of these interview subclips,…we're now presented with some nice bite-sized chunks…that we can now begin to whittle down even more,…to form the segments that will comprise the foundation…for our documentary.…So, the first part of editing a documentary…is all about watching and listening…and adding interview segments to the timeline,…then cutting out areas that don't advance the narrative,…
- Exploring an editor's role in storytelling
- Understanding film grammar
- Learning when to follow and when to break editing "rules"
- Exploring shot and lens movement, as well as timing and pacing
- Getting to know video editing software
- Editing narrative scenes
- Editing documentaries
- Looking at the role of sound design, effects, and color correction
- Next steps for training and development
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Premiere Pro CC Essential Training (2014)with Ashley Kennedy8h Appropriate for all
Documentary Editing with Premiere Prowith Jason Osder3h 48m Intermediate
Documentary Editing with Final Cut Pro X v10.1.xwith Diana Weynand2h 56m Intermediate
1. Exploring Story
What is story?2m 47s
2. The Grammar of Editing
3. Exploring Nonlinear Editing Applications
4. Editing a Short Narrative Scene
5. Editing a Short Documentary
6. Understanding Additional Post-Production Processes
Next steps2m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.