- [Instructor] So continuing this conversation…from the last movie, we're now going to look at…matching eye lines.…This is another way that we help viewers grasp…a sense of the space that we're shooting in.…Matching eye lines means that we edit it in such a way…that it looks like characters are…actually looking at each other.…You can see that in these reverses on the assurance.…The characters are looking,…where the other character should be.…Now sometimes eye lines don't work and it can be confusing.…In the box office bomb, Haunted Honeymoon,…this character is petting a dog.…The dog is obviously looking off to frame right…and that's where the human, doing the petting seems to be.…
But when we cut to her, she's looking almost straight ahead.…These two shots don't match at all, but it's really…because of the mismatch in eye line.…Eye lines are especially important with inside reverses,…reverses where we don't see any of the other character,…like this scene from the classic horror film,…I Spit on Your Grave.…When the nonspeaking character is dirty in the frame,…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.