- [Instructor] Matching action,…also sometimes referred to as cutting on action,…is when we cut in the middle of something happening.…It's called matching action because it's important…to make sure that the last frame of the first clip…feels like it comes immediately before…the first frame of the next clip.…Check out this sequence from The Fellowship of the Ring,…as Frodo stands, we cut to another shot,…notice the last frame, called the tail, of the first clip,…which is called the outgoing clip,…and the head, or first frame, of the second,…or incoming clip.…
Putting the cut in the middle of the action buries the edit,…which means that we don't even notice it.…I did this on the first music video…I ever directed about a decade ago,…so I shot one shot that I thought…that was kinda like the a-cam…because I liked the way the perspective lines…kinda came out from the freeway…and the way that looked at this angle…and for the second take I broke all the rules,…like in a bad way though, and I got footage from an angle…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.