Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Knowing when not to cut, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- [Instructor] Sometimes the best edit decision…is to not edit at all, but to hold on the clip…and let the shot just play out.…For example, it might be best to allow…the essential action of a scene to breathe a little.…In this shot from the classic horror film…Fiend Without a Face, this guy is delivering…the horrible news of a gruesome death.…And before he even finishes what he's saying,…the editor starts fading away.…The suddenness of the edit completely diminishes…the power of his words.…The edit tells us that this…isn't really that big of a deal,…as it sweeps us away to another place.…
So make sure moments are allowed to be set up…and are allowed to breathe a little afterwards…to allow audiences to feel their impact.…Holding on shots can be great for really connecting us…to what a character's experiencing.…In this legendary sequence from Hitchcock's Rear Window,…Jimmy Stewart's character…is in a wheelchair with a broken leg.…He's trying to solve a murder and suspects…that the murderer knows who he is and where he is.…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.