- [Instructor] In this chapter we're going to start…talking about the art of editing.…New video editors often wanna just know where the buttons…are and how to put two shots together,…but that's a technique and not really an art form.…Editing is so much more than just assembling shots…and hopefully that will be clear…after going through this chapter,…and in this particular movie we're gonna start…the conversation by looking at one of the most frequent…questions by editors after they learn the basics…of their editing software.…And that is, how do I know when to cut a clip,…and move to the next shot.…First, again remember that this is an art,…there's no mathematic formula that you can use…to know when to cut.…
You need training, and instincts,…and your own artistic preferences.…Essentially the basic rule is that we cut away from a clip…when it wouldn't be of benefit to stay on it,…or when it would be more beneficial…to show something else.…The challenge is knowing if the clip has…served its purpose, or not.…If you cut too early you risk sucking the power…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.