Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Intro to our rough cut, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- [Instructor] In this chapter we're gonna…be digging into the specific editing challenges I had…on The Assurance.…This will be a great way to see some of these concepts…in action in a real world situation.…Now we're gonna start in the next tutorial,…which actually won't be a tutorial at all…it will be the rough cut of the first version…of The Assurance.…And you know when I say rough I mean…that it will be a very rough cut.…It's probably more like an assembly edit…because it's very unpolished.…And I'm including this because most assembly edits,…and even rough cuts, are very rough like this.…
They're hard to watch.…Usually before showing Assurance footage…in this training course I'll, you know,…apply some color correction or something…so the footage is more watchable.…But I didn't do that in the rough cut…and I'm not gonna do that here…because I want you to get a feel for just how rough…this actually is.…I mean you have to learn to see past the lack of polish…like this to see the story and the characters…and the things that really matter.…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.