Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video How to use transitions when you don't have enough handle, part of Premiere Pro Guru: Better Transitions.
- We've already discussed the concept of handles,…essentially overlapping frames that we use…to create the transition.…Let's explore what to do when you don't have a handle.…In this case here, I'm gonna apply a transition.…Let's choose just a video transition.…You'll note that that transition…was not placed in a centered fashion.…It seems to have a shorter start and a longer end.…Well, if I double-click on that,…you'll see that it's a bit shorter.…
Instead of being a second long,…it lost a little bit off the top.…Well, that's because we don't have enough handle.…If I try to make this transition longer by pulling,…you'll note that I can't.…It doesn't have adequate media.…It's warning me,…but I'm at the maximum duration there.…If I try to drag this, doesn't move.…Sure, I can extend this here on the back end,…unless, of course, there's no media on that side.…
So in this particular case, we've run out of media.…Let's remove that effect for a second…and just look at these clips.…Note here if I drag that out,…there's only a few extra frames there,…
- Applying transitions between clips
- Positioning transitions in the Timeline
- Customizing default transitions
- Trimming shots
- Combining effects and transitions
- Creating a blur transition
- Creating and applying custom gradients
- Saving transition presets
- Working with third-party transition plugins like Red Giant and CoreMelt
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Premiere Pro: Documentary Editingwith Jason Osder3h 48m Intermediate
Color Correction: Artistic Color Grading on the Timelinewith Simon Walker2h 41m Appropriate for all
Color Correction: Color Grading for Locations and Times of Daywith Simon Walker2h 6m Appropriate for all
1. Applying, and Working with, Transitions
2. Refining Transitions
3. Working with Effects and Transitions
4. Saving Transitions
5. Essential Third-Party Plugins
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.