- [Instructor] Another technique that really helps…to make edits more seamless…is to have the same focal point across the cut.…And that's what we're gonna look at in this movie.…First, what is a focal point?…Well, quite simply, it's whatever you're looking at…in the frame, or supposed to be looking at.…It's the thing clamoring for your attention.…When we cut to a new shot and our eyes have to search…and jump across the screen, looking for what to look at,…that messes up the flow of the edit.…But when the object that we're looking at…is in the same place in the frame…as what we're supposed to be looking at in the next shot,…well, that tends to make for a more invisible edit.…
Now, this seems subtle,…but it does end up making a big difference.…Here's a good example from the film Passengers.…When Chris Pratt pushes the coffee buttons…and we cut to the tighter shot,…the spot that we should be looking at…is in the same place as it was in the previous frame.…That makes the edit so much smoother.…Then, when we cut from the coffee dispenser interface…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.