Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring structure and transitions, part of Introduction to Video Editing.
- After deciding a basic strategy for your film,…taking into account everything we've discussed so far,…you should also be aware…of how exactly you're going to put everything together,…that is, your film's structure.…After all, cinematic time…is vastly different than real time,…and because film is a time-based medium,…you have so many creative options…for how to edit the film,…as well as how you will transition…from one shot, sequence, or scene to another.…Many times you're going to tell your story…from beginning to end.…
However, with the power of editing…and creative storytelling, you certainly don't have to.…At the heart of film editing…is the ability to control time and space.…You can start with the end…and then shoot back to the beginning,…and work your way to the moment where you started.…This is a very powerful way…to give meaning to a scene that…was perhaps ambiguous or confusing…when it first played without any context.…Or you might decide to jump around in time,…giving your audience just enough clues,…but keeping them guessing about the significance…
- Exploring an editor's role in storytelling
- Understanding film grammar
- Learning when to follow and when to break editing "rules"
- Exploring shot and lens movement, as well as timing and pacing
- Getting to know video editing software
- Editing narrative scenes
- Editing documentaries
- Looking at the role of sound design, effects, and color correction
- Next steps for training and development
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Premiere Pro CC Essential Training (2014)with Ashley Kennedy8h Appropriate for all
Premiere Pro: Documentary Editingwith Jason Osder3h 48m Intermediate
Final Cut Pro X v10.1.x: Documentary Editingwith Diana Weynand2h 56m Intermediate
1. Exploring Story
What is story?2m 47s
2. The Grammar of Editing
3. Exploring Nonlinear Editing Applications
4. Editing a Short Narrative Scene
5. Editing a Short Documentary
6. Understanding Additional Post-Production Processes
Next steps2m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.