Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring the ethics of editing, part of Introduction to Video Editing.
- Let's talk more about the story creation process,…and what it means, specifically in terms of ethics.…As we said, editing is all about constructing…or reconstructing a reality to tell a story.…That's quite a job, and needless to say,…there's a lot of decisions that every editor…must make in putting all of that together.…When you're editing a scripted program,…you obviously want to make…the best decisions to tell the story,…but there aren't too many major issues…that you run into with changing things…and asserting your own creative license.…
Often the ways editors choose to adjust…or embellish the story, can bring better clarity…and deeper meaning to the scene at hand.…Certainly you want to adhere to the vision of the piece,…but the ethical considerations of fiction-based…material are relatively slight.…However, when you're editing unscripted material…things are quite a bit different.…You're putting together a project…that represents real people.…You're giving them a voice and a persona…that other people will watch, learn from,…
- Exploring an editor's role in storytelling
- Understanding film grammar
- Learning when to follow and when to break editing "rules"
- Exploring shot and lens movement, as well as timing and pacing
- Getting to know video editing software
- Editing narrative scenes
- Editing documentaries
- Looking at the role of sound design, effects, and color correction
- Next steps for training and development
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Premiere Pro: Documentary Editingwith Jason Osder3h 48m Intermediate
Final Cut Pro X v10.1.x: Documentary Editingwith Diana Weynand2h 56m Intermediate
1. Exploring Story
What is story?2m 47s
2. The Grammar of Editing
3. Exploring Nonlinear Editing Applications
4. Editing a Short Narrative Scene
5. Editing a Short Documentary
6. Understanding Additional Post-Production Processes
Next steps2m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.