Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Evaluating our rough cut, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- [Instructor] I'm assuming you've watched…the rough cut in the previous movie…and hopefully you had some critical thoughts…about what worked, what didn't work…and what might potentially work with some tweaks…and what those tweaks might be.…So, what I wanted to do in this movie…is just kind of share with you…my thoughts after watching this…in case that helps you.…First, let's look at what worked.…I loved Eva Jane's smoky voice narration.…It was desperate and sad…and resolved, it was perfect for me.…I loved how it gave an emotional through line…to the film.…
I also loved the bookends with Korda'a's camp fire,…that made it pretty easy to understand…the chronology of the film…with the flashbacks and what not.…And at this point, the end sequence…was just green screen shots at a park…but I could still get a sense…that the sequence would be powerful and it would work…once the visual effects were in there…and so, that felt like a pretty good finale to the film.…Perhaps my favorite part of the whole movie…was the combination of Eva's voiceover…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.