Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Cutting vs. using transitions, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- [Instructor] When we just cut from shot to shot,…this is called a hard cut or simply just cut for short.…But we can also get to another shot by adding a transition,…which is usually a dissolve from one shot…to the next, like a cross fade.…This can soften the impact of the cut.…Because of this,…amateur editors will often over use transitions…to make their edits less jarring,…but in most cases though it's best to just learn the art…of editing and then use hard cuts.…However, there are certain times when it's better…to use a transition instead of a hard cut.…
Cross fades, or dissolves, are usually used…to show a passage of time or place.…We can often see this used mercifully in films…to spare us from boring sequences.…In "Raiders of the Lost Ark" for example,…Indy starts digging.…Then we dissolve to further along in the digging process.…Now as thrilling as digging is,…for some reason, Spielberg decided that we didn't need to…see that entire process play out in real time.…So the dissolve suggested the passage of time, in this case.…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.