- [Instructor] It's extremely common for editors…to use music in their timelines as kind of…like a guide while they edit.…It can help editors get a sense of rhythm…and pacing for a scene.…Or it can help an editor create a mood.…Or it can help an editor convey to a director…the way they see the tone of the scene.…However, just because of the nature…of the filmmaking workflow,…the actual music for the film is almost never…finished while the movie is being edited.…So editors will often use something…called a temp score, or a temp track.…Now, temp is, of course, short for temporary.…
This music is just a placeholder,…or it should be.…Because of that, you can use anything you want,…I mean copyrighted music or whatever.…For The Assurance, I'd initially planned…on using Howard Shore's incredible score…from The Fellowship of the Ring because…that was another fantasy movie,…another amazing fantasy movie (dramatic music)…with a great score.…But after we reedited the film and changed…the story that we were telling,…that music kind of felt out of place.…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.