- [Instructor] So let's look at how to cross the line…effectively as an editor.…It's tricky and confusing for the best of us,…because it involves a lot of mental gymnastics…as we maneuver around this imaginary line.…Now this example here isn't the…most egregious one I've ever seen a line crossing,…but it's still a little jarring,…and it is technically a line crossing.…This is from the old Bette Davis movie The Letter,…and as Bette talks to this guy over here,…the 180 line, our axis of action, is between them.…And then we cut to this dude, and it crosses the line.…
So it makes the cut a little weird.…Now again, this isn't the worst line crossing…in cinema history, but it is an edit…that draws attention to itself.…Now we usually try to avoid that in dialogue scenes.…Now contrast that to this shot in Eyes Wide Shut.…We just flipped completely over the line,…and it totally works.…Now why does it work here and not as well in The Letter?…Well one of the ways that you can…cross the line pretty effectively…is by just flipping over the other side like this.…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.