- [Instructor] At this point, you know enough…about both the craft and the art of film editing.…It's time to make a rough cut,…so let's talk about that for a second.…A rough cut is a more polished version…of the assembly edit we talked about earlier.…The assembly edit, you're not really trying super hard,…you're just trying to get a sense of the film,…but with a rough cut, you're trying to earnestly get…as close as you can, so that you can feel…what the movie will actually feel like.…Often, rough cuts will have tent music,…maybe some sound effects, maybe some color correction.…
After I finished the rough cut of The Assurance…that we'll look at later in this course,…it actually is probably closer to an assembly edit…than a rough cut, as we'll talk about,…but after finishing that edit,…we realized that we had some serious story problems.…Heather and I wrote scene seven B…and called Eva Jane back to shoot that scene.…While that did help clarify a lot of good story elements,…after getting the next rough cut after that,…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.