Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a montage, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- A montage is just a series of shorter clips…arranged in a series.…A montage is usually used to help the audience…kind of get the gist of something.…So if we want to tell an audience…"eventually they fell in love",…or "he trained really hard and got really strong",…or if we want to introduce a world or a character,…or show a passage of time, a montage would be perfect.…Now there's kind of a trick to creating the perfect montage,…and it's the same trick we use to create a great edit.…We only show the best parts.…And how do you do that?…Well, here's some tips.…
You want to show elements that are really representative…of what you're trying to convey.…I mean look at Darth Vader.…We don't see him too much in the original Star Wars.…He strangles some guy with his mind,…he threatens Princess Leia.…He's doing really good bad guy stuff when we see him,…and that makes him feel really scary…because that's all the editor allows us to see of him.…We don't see him, you know, filling out paperwork,…or going to the bathroom, or (laughter)…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.