- Usually the first big goal for an editor is…to create something called an assembly edit.…This is kind of like a rough version of the movie.…A really really rough version of the movie.…There's also a version that we'll make later and…we'll talk about that later in the series…called the "rough cut", but even the rough cut is…a lot more refined than the assembly edit is.…And assembly edit really is an edit of the film that…we just put the pieces together as we shot it.…At this point the editor is not being creative,…we're not taking chunks out of the film yet,…we're not showing it to other people to get feedback.…
I mean it's a very very rough patchwork edit of the film.…And, usually we don't even have a temp score.…A temp score is temporary music that we put in…to give the impression of what the movie should feel like.…But that's not even there in the assembly edit,…we don't use sound effects, the color is…still usually ugly, audio is still ugly.…And so again the assembly edit is just really a…chance to see what it looks like when the…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.