- [Narrator] In this chapter we've seen how to…control the emotion of a scene by our cuts.…But we can also regulate emotion by…the type of shots that we choose to use.…So let's look at that.…Now we've looked at different shot sizes in the…previous courses on directing and cinematography,…so you can refer to those if you'd like a refresher.…But as for when those shots are actually used in the film,…that's typically the decision left up to you, the editor.…So how do you know when to use the wide, the medium,…or the closeup shot if they all show…different takes of the same exact thing?…In general, it's best to think of…shot sizes in terms of intimacy.…
When we're first getting to know somebody in real life,…it's really uncomfortable when they stand too closely.…Conversely, when someone we really care about…is telling us something personal,…it feels kinda weird if they're saying it…from the other side of the room.…So it's the same thing with shot sizes.…In the classic horror film, "Curse of the Demon"…this woman goes to this guy's apartment…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.