Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Becoming a better editor, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- [Instructor] Whew, so at this point…we've gone through this whole course…and learned a ton…but editing is an art…and as such there's always more to learn,…so here's some things I suggest…to improve your cutting chops.…First, get a good understanding of story,…check out and re-check out the second course…in the series on writing.…Read a book on screen writing or story structure,…for that I might recommend The Writer's Journey…or Save the Cat.…
Also, edit a bunch of different styles.…Edit a horror movie, edit a comedy,…edit a drama, edit an action movie,…edit a music video.…Even if these genres aren't your thing,…you'll learn a ton by researching them…and digging into their own unique editing language…and in turn, that will help you shape…your own personal style and preferences.…In addition to that, try reediting something.…This was so eye opening for me on the assurance.…Try to recut something to change the story…or completely change the genre.…
One of my favorite things online…is when people make those movie trailers…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.