Learn the essentials of PowerShell DSC: creating DSC configurations, working with DSC resources, and applying DSC configurations to systems via both push and pull modes.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] Welcome to this course on desired state configuration essentials with PowerShell. My name's Matt Hester and I've been using PowerShell since version 1.0, and I'll tell you what folks, this is an amazing language that just gets better over time. We introduced desired state configuration in version four of PowerShell and it's even getting better with the newest release of PowerShell 5. In this course, you're going to see all kinds of great things that we can do with desired state configuration. What happens when we configure servers and they change? We set a server up, it's supposed to be the same way.
Does it ever stay exactly the same way from our initial configuration? Usually not. Somebody messes with it or we delete a file by accident. Well, the great thing about desired state configuration is that we can keep those files in the state that we want to configure them or change the configuration. I know our servers evolve, our applications evolve. The great thing about desired state configuration, it allows us to deploy these things continuously and consistently inside of your environments. So, we're going to see this in this course from authoring, to staging, ultimately deploying those desired state configurations to our servers and keeping them in place.
Not only for Windows-based systems, but DSC has crossed platform. It can be used in Linux as well. So, you're going to see that all in this course. Sit back, relax, and enjoy this course on desired state configuration essentials.
Current IT pros will need to understand DSC as they move into managing Microsoft's next wave of server and cloud products that will leverage this important technology. In this course, Matt Hester shows how to write configuration documents, work with DSC resources, and apply configurations to systems via both push and pull modes. Plus, he shows how to troubleshoot DSC and use DSC in non-Windows environments like Linux.
- Why we need DSC
- Understanding DSC architecture
- Working with built-in and custom resources
- Creating a DSC configuration
- Staging configured data
- Creating, testing, and restoring DSC configurations with the push model
- Configuring pull servers
- Creating and testing DSC configurations with the pull model
- Using DSC in Linux environments
- Troubleshooting DSC