PowerShell has provided the ability to leverage parameters, DSC can take advantage of parameters when your creating your configuration files. In this video we will talk about some of the common parameters and how to use them when creating configurations.
- [Voiceover] So one of the great things about…when we write DSC configurations…is that we can make them fairly straightforward and easy…and also make them very static.…So as you recall in our initial example,…I hard-coded the name of the server, web server,…for the node I wanted to use,…and I hard-coded a few other elements,…what directory paths I want to use and so on.…Well, remember, DSC is based on PowerShell,…so just like PowerShell scripts…and anything that you might do in this wonderful language,…we can use parameters.…If I go to that same script…where I can create the website for the bakery,…but now I can add in parameters.…
So you'll notice that in my configuration file,…I simply add in a new element, parameter,…and inside that I actually can then…identify what my node names are,…is it a mandatory parameter?…Which most of the parameters that you'll identify…for DSC configurations will be mandatory.…We then can just simply assign values,…a dollar sign node name for the actual parameter.…It's going to be a string.…
Current IT pros will need to understand DSC as they move into managing Microsoft's next wave of server and cloud products that will leverage this important technology. In this course, Matt Hester shows how to write configuration documents, work with DSC resources, and apply configurations to systems via both push and pull modes. Plus, he shows how to troubleshoot DSC and use DSC in non-Windows environments like Linux.
- Why we need DSC
- Understanding DSC architecture
- Working with built-in and custom resources
- Creating a DSC configuration
- Staging configured data
- Creating, testing, and restoring DSC configurations with the push model
- Configuring pull servers
- Creating and testing DSC configurations with the pull model
- Using DSC in Linux environments
- Troubleshooting DSC
Skill Level Intermediate
PowerShell 5 Essential Trainingwith Jason C. Helmick3h 38m Intermediate
1. DSC Overview
2. DSC Resources
3. DSC Configurations
4. Push Configurations
5. Build a Pull Server
6. Pull Configurations
7. Cross-Platform DSC
8. DSC Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
Next steps3m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.