Sometimes when using DSC you will want to make sure certain components are in place before apply your desired configuration with DependsOn you can do that, and in this video we will take at look at how to leverage it.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] So, as you start to…work with configuration data and actually identify how…we can work with these things, you might be wondering, well,…if I'm going to copy over the bakery website to the…inetpub WW root directory,…like I did with my basic bakery example,…what if IIS isn't installed?…Or, what if that directory doesn't exist?…How does DSC handle that?…Well, we actually handle it with a special variable that…we can call, called DependsOn and DependsOn allows us to,…actually, control how things get installed.…In other words, hey, if we're going to do this or,…if we're going to modify and move files over into directory,…we better make sure that that directory and…IIS exist before we actually start copying files and…if not, then we can go back in…our configuration and make it happen.…
That way, we can help avoid errors and control the order of…things of how we work inside of DSC and…how configurations are actually applied to the system.…So, what I want to show you in this video is a…basic example of how DependsOn work, as well as,…
Current IT pros will need to understand DSC as they move into managing Microsoft's next wave of server and cloud products that will leverage this important technology. In this course, Matt Hester shows how to write configuration documents, work with DSC resources, and apply configurations to systems via both push and pull modes. Plus, he shows how to troubleshoot DSC and use DSC in non-Windows environments like Linux.
- Why we need DSC
- Understanding DSC architecture
- Working with built-in and custom resources
- Creating a DSC configuration
- Staging configured data
- Creating, testing, and restoring DSC configurations with the push model
- Configuring pull servers
- Creating and testing DSC configurations with the pull model
- Using DSC in Linux environments
- Troubleshooting DSC
Skill Level Intermediate
Up and Running with PowerShell 5with Jason C. Helmick3h 38m Intermediate
1. DSC Overview
2. DSC Resources
3. DSC Configurations
4. Push Configurations
5. Build a Pull Server
6. Pull Configurations
7. Cross-Platform DSC
8. DSC Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
Next steps3m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.