The DSC platform is highly customizable and you can create your own custom resources. In this video we will take a quick a look at the mechanics behind creating custom resource.
- [Voiceover] One of the great things of DSC Resources…is that you can make your own.…Now you can create your own custom resources,…not only for your own use,…but you can also share them up to the broader community.…Now, folks, this is where DSC crosses that line…between PowerShell and IT administration aren't coding,…although it's PowerShell friendly,…and you can use PowerShell to create custom resources,…you can also use them leveraging MOF,…the Microsoft Operation Framework,…or C#, to actually create and define these.…Now remember what does the resource do?…It does two things for us.…
It creates that configuration code,…so that when we're creating our configuration file…inside of DSC, we know which keywords to put in place,…like ensure, so we make sure that a certain service…is in place before we perform a task on that service.…But we also have the schema or that definition…of how we get to do that work.…So that when we say it's there,…what do we go check?…What are we looking for?…Well the resource does both.…
Current IT pros will need to understand DSC as they move into managing Microsoft's next wave of server and cloud products that will leverage this important technology. In this course, Matt Hester shows how to write configuration documents, work with DSC resources, and apply configurations to systems via both push and pull modes. Plus, he shows how to troubleshoot DSC and use DSC in non-Windows environments like Linux.
- Why we need DSC
- Understanding DSC architecture
- Working with built-in and custom resources
- Creating a DSC configuration
- Staging configured data
- Creating, testing, and restoring DSC configurations with the push model
- Configuring pull servers
- Creating and testing DSC configurations with the pull model
- Using DSC in Linux environments
- Troubleshooting DSC
Skill Level Intermediate
PowerShell 5 Essential Trainingwith Jason C. Helmick3h 38m Intermediate
1. DSC Overview
2. DSC Resources
3. DSC Configurations
4. Push Configurations
5. Build a Pull Server
6. Pull Configurations
7. Cross-Platform DSC
8. DSC Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
Next steps3m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.