In this video, staff instructor Jess Stratton shows users how to take an existing presentation and remove all content leaving only placeholders to create a reusable template.
- [Instructor] We can save design elements by changing to the design ribbon tab and saving the current theme as a custom one. But what if we wanted to reuse some of the content? What if I liked these icons and I wanted them to be available for others to use and backgrounds such as this one. For these situations we can save the presentation as an actual template. Saving it as a template involves deleting the slides we don't need, keeping the slides we want and then saving it. Let's go through and delete some items. I do like this background so I'll keep it for others to use.
This slide I don't need, so I'll right click and choose delete slide. I'll do the same for the Project Orange Stem one. I could delete these morph slides. I'll select one, hold down the shift key and select them all because they're right next to each other. I'll choose delete and so on and so forth. I like this one because people might want to use these icons for other presentations. Let's look at the title. Every presentation will have a unified slide like this but they aren't all going to be called Sales Strategy 2019.
This is a content placeholder. So if I delete this text, by selecting it all and hitting the delete key. As soon as I click away with my mouse the placeholder text remains. So now that can be part of my template. Anybody else can come here and add in their new title. I can do the same thing for here. These are text boxes that I created. They're not placeholders but I can leave the next person a note. Now we see that this presentation will be fresh and ready for the next person.
Once it's set up just the way we want click file, save as, choose browse and then the save as type is drop down, we're gonna choose PowerPoint Template. It's gonna save to a different place on my computer and I'll give it a name. I'll call it the Red30 Sales Template. I'll click save. My template has been saved and now I can create new presentations with it. I'll click file, new and now I'll click custom.
Now I have two different folders. I have my document themes which we created in a previous video or a template. I'll choose the template folder and here I can see my Red30 Sales Template. I'll click create and now I can come in and add a new title for my presentation. I can continue to add and edit slides as normal. It's that easy to add and reuse content as well as design elements.
- Getting started quickly with PowerPoint
- Creating new presentations
- Adding, removing, and rearranging slides
- Changing slide layouts
- Inserting and formatting images and shapes
- Adding animation and transitions
- Sharing and collaborating on presentations
- Delivering the presentation
- Saving themes and templates
- Exporting presentations as video, PDF, or JPEG files