In this video, staff instructor Jess Stratton shows users how to save design elements using Slide Master view and save it as a custom design theme for use in other presentations.
- [Lynda] A few times in this presentation I've used this black background with the gradient on it. I'd like to add this as a custom layout and use it in other presentations. Not just the sales strategy one. So the first thing I'll need to do is go into the "Slide Master" and add it as a lay out. I'll change to the "View Ribbon" tab and click "Slide Master". Which we've seen before and instead of altering a layout that's already here, I want to create a new one. So I'll click "Insert Layout". I'll get rid of all these placeholders. I just want a blank slide.
So I'll select them all and delete them. Now let's change the background. I'll click "Background Styles" and "Format Background". It's going to open up this side pane, that you are very familiar with at this point. I'll click "Gradient Fill". I'll choose all my presets. And I'll add my gradient stops. What I'm doing is recreating that black background. I'll close out of the format pane. The last thing that I can do that we haven't done yet, is rename the layout.
I'll click "Rename" and I'll call this one Black Gradient. I'll click "Rename", and now we can get out of the slide master. I'll click "Close Master View". Now if I did want to add a new slide with that, I can click the down arrow next to the new slide, and there's my black gradient layout. So, how do we carry that over to a brand new presentation? Let's change to the "Design Ribbon" tab. I'll click the down arrow to the right of the themes, and all the way down at the bottom, you'll see "Save Current Theme".
You'll be able to save time next time by getting a brand new blank presentation that's empty of all content but has the same design elements that we've just added. It takes me to a special place on the computer, and I can give the theme a name. I'll call it Black Gradient and click "Save". Now let's create a brand new presentation. Click "File" on the top left hand side, Click "New", and here I can choose from the pre-existing themes. When now I have a new tab called "Custom" I'll click "Custom" and here's my Black Gradient theme.
I'll click "Create" and now if I create a new slide, here's my Black Gradient layout, ready to go. So, this is really useful. If you spend time creating a unified look, and you want your entire company to use it.
- Getting started quickly with PowerPoint
- Creating new presentations
- Adding, removing, and rearranging slides
- Changing slide layouts
- Inserting and formatting images and shapes
- Adding animation and transitions
- Sharing and collaborating on presentations
- Delivering the presentation
- Saving themes and templates
- Exporting presentations as video, PDF, or JPEG files