Identify the elements of well-designed PowerPoint slides that are effective and will support a great presentation (high quality images, and sometimes only images; minimal text, etc.).
- [Voiceover] The first step to creating…a great interactive PowerPoint presentation…is to know the essentials of designing effective slides.…You don't want low quality slides…to distract from your instruction…or the learning that needs to happen.…Now designing great slides doesn't need…to take a lot of fancy bells and whistles,…and in fact, those can often be really distracting…when they don't support the core of your content.…And also, you don't need to be super tech savvy.…Let's move through a checklist of five essentials…for great PowerPoint slides.…Number one, keep it simple.…
So for example, check out this slide.…There's a lot going on.…Don't feel the need to fill all the empty areas of a slide.…Don't use unnecessary graphics…that don't reinforce your content.…Minimalize your text. Less is always more.…Students have to split their attention…between what they're reading and what you're saying…when there's a lot of text and that can be really difficult.…If we remove unnecessary elements,…we can get a clean presentation.…
Join Faith Brill as she demonstrates how to create dynamic, student-centered, hands-on learning activities using PowerPoint. If you've used PowerPoint as a book replacement in the past, learn how to transition to using it as a tool, enhancing your instruction with discussion, activities, and multimedia. Get ready to try new techniques so you can embed these new approaches into your practice. This course helps teachers of any grade level, K–12 and higher ed, to move beyond passive teaching with bullet points to teaching with interactive lessons that engage students.
- Transition from traditional use of PowerPoint to dynamic use
- Use speaker notes
- Design effective teaching slides
- Evaluate and revise your classroom setup
- Create activities in PowerPoint
- Teach using games
- Organize your day and your curriculum