Office Mix provides some powerful videos and apps that you can incorporate into the flipped class that you are creating. You can access content videos from Khan Academy, apps that allow you to engage students in science and math simulations right inside of the flipped class video, and more. This feature is very helpful in creating engaging and interactive flipped classes.
- [Voiceover] When using Office Mix you have access to some really powerful apps, videos, and add-on's that you can access. In this video I'll show you how to access the apps and add one to your presentation. Now, I'm going to create a new slide. I scroll to the bottom and add a slide. Next I wanna add an app, so I'm going to make sure I'm on the Mix tab, which I am and then I'll navigate over to quizzes, videos and apps. When I click this, a pop up box appears. It's one that we've actually seen before. We got the web viewer app in order to in-bed a website a website onto a slide.
In this case you'll also notice there are some quiz and poll apps, we'll take a look at those in the next video. But right now I wanna show you a couple of the simulation apps or content apps that can make your flip class much more engaging and interactive. For example, the PhET simulations are wonderful simulations in science and math that allow students to play around with some of the variables and learn more by a hands-on experience. I'll click add and it will add this simulation to my slide.
So if I make this a little bit bigger, I now have to choose the simulation that I want to add. Now even though it really isn't relevant to my communications skills video, I'm going to add one here just to show how it's done. I'm going to click on the balancing act, it will bring this up and I'm going to click on insert. So now I've inserted this PhET simulation on my slide. I'm click on intro and it allows you to play around and say, "Okay if we set a five kilogram fire extinguisher there and one here and then we take away the little pillars, what happens?" Oh, balances out. Well what if we move this closer in? Still the same weight, but now it tips to the left.
So this allows students to manipulate variables and play around it can be a wonderful way to motivate students to learn and really help make sense of the content. Now I'll add another screen here, and we'll take a look at another one. Let's take a look at the Khan Academy which provides a ton of great videos on content. I'll click add and it brings up the Khan Academy page and from here I can select the subject that I want; math, science, economics and finance, and so on.
Here I'm going to go with let's say, math. And I'll click here and add one title, measurement word problem distance U.S. So here I'll insert that, and now this video from Khan Academy will appear here. Students can watch it and follow along with this and it's very engaging so this is another great thing to add to a flip class if it's relevant. If I go back on quizzes, video and apps, you'll notice that there are some more available as well.
You have fluid math, code hunt, CK-12, and other resources. So there are a lot here and I highly recommend checking them out. Take advantage of these tools and resources, continue to find ways to make your flip classes more engaging and interactive. The apps within Office Mix can help accomplish this.
- Downloading and accessing Office Mix
- Recording and editing presentations with Office Mix
- Adding screenshots, links, audio, video, apps, and quizzes
- Uploading and sharing mixes
- Tracking student progress through a mix