Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Using a slicer to filter visuals, part of Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
- [Voiceover] This is the same Countries and Populations…file that we've been working with…and this is what it looked like…at the end of the last movie.…If you've been working along with me,…I'd asked you to save this file…so that we could add a Slicer to drive our Visualizations.…A Slicer is used here, in Power BI in the same way…that you would use a Slicer in Excel.…It gives your users an easier way to filter data…than having to work with the filters here.…So if you have users that this doesn't look…familiar or accessible for, throw Slicers in…because it makes life a lot easier for everybody.…
To grab a Slicer here, simply choose it.…It's to the right of your cards,…and it has a little funnel on it.…So that's a clue that it's a filter.…I'm going to just drop a Slicer in here,…and it has nothing in it yet.…What I want to be able to do is…filter by continent, so I'm going to choose…Continent, and what this looks like is…that when a user clicks for example, on Asia,…it simply shows them the rates for Asia…or for North America.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Installing and launching Power BI Desktop
- Connecting to Excel and CSV files
- Connecting to a database or web data
- Querying data
- Transforming data
- Creating relationship between tables
- Merging data
- Creating visualizations and reports
- Publishing to the Power BI service
- Sharing and unsharing reports
Skill Level Intermediate
Where is the course Power BI Features in Depth as mentioned throughout this course?
Power BI Features in Depth has been retired. Please see instead Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
Creating Excel Power Pivot and Power View Dashboardswith Ron Davis1h 12m Intermediate
Data Modeling with Excel Power Pivotwith Ron Davis1h 15m Intermediate
1. Get Started
2. Get Data
3. Model Data: Shaping, Combining, and Merging Data
4. Create Visualizations and Reports
5. Share Your Work
Next steps1m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.