Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Upload an Excel workbook, part of Power BI Pro Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] Workbooks are a little more…complex than CSV files,…so when I choose to work with…an Excel Workbook with Power BI,…I first need to make sure that I have…formatted the data that…I will want to import as a table.…I'm going to open up the chapter two folder,…and double-click on Customer Catalog Requests,…because this is not formatted as a table.…But it's not hard to do,…I can simply select all the cells…and either hold Control and hit T,…which is the shortcut to Format as Table,…or choose Format as Table and apply a format.…
My table has headers, yes, we're all good.…Having now formatted this as a table,…I need to save this and I also need to close it.…And now I can go back to powerbi.com, right here.…And click Get Data, Files,…again this is a local file for me,…Customer Catalog Requests.…Two choices, one is on the right-hand side,…would I like to work with this…like I would in Excel online, not so much.…
The purpose of that is simply to be able to…share out sections, or ranges, of data.…What I want to do is to import the data.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Signing up for Power BI Pro
- Connecting to data sources
- Uploading data such as CSV and XLS files
- Creating reports, visualizations, charts, and maps
- Filtering, sorting, copying, and pasting visualizations
- Downloading custom visuals from the gallery
- Modifying existing reports
- Creating and managing data dashboards
- Querying data with Power BI Q&A and Microsoft Cortana
- Sharing report and dashboards
- Using Power BI Desktop and mobile apps
Skill Level Intermediate
Learn Microsoft Power BI Desktop: The Basicswith Gini von Courter2h 55m Intermediate
Microsoft Business Intelligence Stack Fundamentalswith Ron Davis43m 39s Intermediate
1. Get Started with Power BI
2. Power BI Data Sources
3. Create a Report with Visualizations
4. Modify and Print a Report
5. Create a Dashboard
6. Ask Questions About Your Data
7. Share Data with Colleagues and Others
8. Use Power BI Desktop
9. Use Power BI Mobile Apps
Next steps1m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.