Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding Power BI data sources, part of Learn Microsoft Power BI Desktop: The Basics.
- There are four broad categories of data…that you can get in Power BI Desktop…and Power BI Desktop Pro.…The first is file data,…then database data,…Azure data,…and the broad category miscellaneous other data.…Let's take a look at the data categories…in Power BI.…You can get data from every view:…Report View, Data View, Relationship View;…it doesn't matter, because we get data right here.…When you click the drop down, you'll see…the most common types of data…that people access.…
To see all of the categories,…or to search for a type of data,…click More.…When I say search for a type,…I don't mean search for a specific data source,…I mean search for a kind of data source.…So if we wonder, for example,…if GitHub data is available,…notice that it is.…It's still in Beta.…Here are the four categories:…File data, so we can connect to a file…in Excel, a comma-separated value file,…an XML file, a text file.…
And that would be, for example,…a delimited text file.…Databases, SQL Server and Access,…but also SQL Server Analysis Services Databases,…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Installing and launching Power BI Desktop
- Connecting to Excel and CSV files
- Connecting to a database or web data
- Querying data
- Transforming data
- Creating relationship between tables
- Merging data
- Creating visualizations and reports
- Publishing to the Power BI service
- Sharing and unsharing reports
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Excel Power Pivot and Power View Dashboardswith Ron Davis1h 12m Intermediate
Data Modeling with Excel Power Pivotwith Ron Davis1h 15m Intermediate
1. Get Started
2. Get Data
3. Model Data: Shaping, Combining, and Merging Data
4. Create Visualizations and Reports
5. Share Your Work
Next steps1m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.