Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Transforming data, part of Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop (2016).
- [Voiceover] The Query Editor in Power BI Desktop…is incredibly powerful and will give you tools…that allow you to transform data in a number of ways.…What we're going to use as our data set for this…is some historical data provided as a free download…from the US Census Bureau, which has information…about the population in different states, historically.…Let's go to Get Data, this data is stored in Excel…in the Chapter 03 files, Transforming…is the name of the workbook.…
And it looks like there are four things in it,…four types of objects that we can…navigate to, and there are.…Two of them are spreadsheets, two of them are…named ranges, that is, tables.…Table 1 and Summary By State.…So if we looked, for example, at US Region and State Pop,…this is a spreadsheet, and across the top,…we have our column names, State, District, Region, so on.…If I choose the Summary By State, very very similar.…
What's the biggest difference?…Not much.…There's a bigger difference with this US Population table,…because with the US Pop table, for whatever reason,…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Installing and launching Power BI Desktop
- Connecting to Excel and CSV files
- Connecting to a database or web data
- Querying data
- Transforming data
- Creating relationship between tables
- Merging data
- Creating visualizations and reports
- Publishing to the Power BI service
- Sharing and unsharing reports
Skill Level Intermediate
Where is the course Power BI Features in Depth as mentioned throughout this course?
Power BI Features in Depth has been retired. Please see instead Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
1. Get Started
2. Get Data
3. Model Data: Shaping, Combining, and Merging Data
4. Create Visualizations and Reports
5. Share Your Work
Next steps1m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.