Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Reducing data, part of Power BI Pro Essential Training.
- [Voiceover] This is a lovely dataset,…but it's not yet in the shape that I want it to be in…to work with it in Power BI,…to use it for analysis.…For example, we have a total down at the bottom…and we don't need that.…We also have the District of Columbia…and if your intention was only to compare states…you would be eliminating the District of Columbia…from your dataset.…If you wanted to do that it would be easy,…because what the District of Columbia…and the United States row have in common…is they were never admitted,…which a bone of some contention to the folks…in the District of Columbia.…
What I'd like to do is edit this…and there's a Query Editor tool to do that.…The way we get there is we go to Edit Queries.…And notice Untitled, Query Editor…and here we are and just tools in abundance.…Again, covering all of these…is well beyond the scope of this course,…but there is another course where you'll see…how to use all of these different tools in the Query Editor.…There are some nice visual hints for us here.…
For example, this is a text column, it has A-B-C,…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Signing up for Power BI Pro
- Connecting to data sources
- Uploading data such as CSV and XLS files
- Creating reports, visualizations, charts, and maps
- Filtering, sorting, copying, and pasting visualizations
- Downloading custom visuals from the gallery
- Modifying existing reports
- Creating and managing data dashboards
- Querying data with Power BI Q&A and Microsoft Cortana
- Sharing report and dashboards
- Using Power BI Desktop and mobile apps
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop (2016)with Gini von Courter2h 52m Intermediate
Learning Microsoft Business Intelligence Stackwith Ron Davis43m 35s Intermediate
1. Get Started with Power BI
2. Power BI Data Sources
3. Create a Report with Visualizations
4. Modify and Print a Report
5. Create a Dashboard
6. Ask Questions About Your Data
7. Share Data with Colleagues and Others
8. Use Power BI Desktop
9. Use Power BI Mobile Apps
Next steps1m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.