Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Importing Excel data models, part of Learn Microsoft Power BI Desktop: The Basics.
- [Voiceover] There's one more way that we can…bring data into Power BI desktop, and that's to import it.…This feature is here in some ways…to provide backward compatibility,…because if you have created data models in Excel…using the other tools that are available for Power BI,…like Power Pivot and Power Query, you can then…import the contents of a workbook, and when you do this,…you'll have to find the workbook and identify it,…and it says here a new Power BI file will be made for you.…
This assumes that the file actually contains a data model,…it contains a query, so it's probably something that was…created either without using Power BI desktop,…or it's a file that was created as a data model, perhaps,…only for Power Pivot, not even for Power BI.…So if you have legacy workbooks that have been used…for Power BI, you can still open them here,…and that's how you will do it.…The other thing that you're able to import are…custom visuals, visualizations that have been…created that can be reused here.…
And you'll be asked again to note what the location…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Installing and launching Power BI Desktop
- Connecting to Excel and CSV files
- Connecting to a database or web data
- Querying data
- Transforming data
- Creating relationship between tables
- Merging data
- Creating visualizations and reports
- Publishing to the Power BI service
- Sharing and unsharing reports
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Excel Power Pivot and Power View Dashboardswith Ron Davis1h 12m Intermediate
Data Modeling with Excel Power Pivotwith Ron Davis1h 15m Intermediate
1. Get Started
2. Get Data
3. Model Data: Shaping, Combining, and Merging Data
4. Create Visualizations and Reports
5. Share Your Work
Next steps1m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.