Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Get data, part of Power BI Pro Essential Training.
- [Voiceover] We'll be using files out…of the exercise files folder for this section…and I'm gonna begin by launching Power BI Desktop.…By default it threw an icon on my desktop…and I allowed it to do that.…You may be launching it someplace else.…And it always takes a moment when it starts.…While it's loading, I'd like to point out…that this is actually an alternative…to what was called Excel Self-Service BI,…where we had different tools that we added to Excel…as add-ins mostly, Power Pivot, Power Query,…and other such tools.…
And Power BI Desktop pulls those all together.…I prefer Power BI Desktop, but there's still…valid reason to use Power Pivot, for example, in Excel.…And if you're used to it, you'll find that some…of the things that you can do here are very similar.…Our data set for this chapter is historical data…about the population of different states…and it's available as a free download…from the US Census Bureau.…We need to get some data before we can do anything else.…So, we're going to get data and I'd like you to notice…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Signing up for Power BI Pro
- Connecting to data sources
- Uploading data such as CSV and XLS files
- Creating reports, visualizations, charts, and maps
- Filtering, sorting, copying, and pasting visualizations
- Downloading custom visuals from the gallery
- Modifying existing reports
- Creating and managing data dashboards
- Querying data with Power BI Q&A and Microsoft Cortana
- Sharing report and dashboards
- Using Power BI Desktop and mobile apps
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop (2016)with Gini von Courter2h 52m Intermediate
Learning Microsoft Business Intelligence Stackwith Ron Davis43m 35s Intermediate
1. Get Started with Power BI
2. Power BI Data Sources
3. Create a Report with Visualizations
4. Modify and Print a Report
5. Create a Dashboard
6. Ask Questions About Your Data
7. Share Data with Colleagues and Others
8. Use Power BI Desktop
9. Use Power BI Mobile Apps
Next steps1m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.