Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Get Power BI Desktop data with the Power BI service, part of Power BI Pro Essential Training.
- [Voiceover] You can also create reports…in Power BI Desktop.…You can't create dashboards, and if you really…enjoy that power of BI Desktop environment,…or you spend a lot of time wanting to work offline,…then you may wish to create your reports there as well.…I'm content right now to have cleaned up…my data sources there, because that's the thing…that I can't really do here.…I can't transform a data set.…I can't modify my data sets here in Power BI Service,…but I can in Power BI Desktop, and when I'm done,…I can then click Get Data,…and notice, Power BI Desktop files,…I can bring those in.…
Oh, I'm happy.…Although these are local files,…I could also be saving them in OneDrive for business,…or OneDrive Personal, or Team Sites,…and those are also very, very good choices,…because when the files are being loaded,…I'm actually loading them to the cloud…to begin with when I'm saving them in those locations,…and they're retrieved very quickly by Power BI.…It also enhances some of the sharing…that I might want to do, but right now,…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Signing up for Power BI Pro
- Connecting to data sources
- Uploading data such as CSV and XLS files
- Creating reports, visualizations, charts, and maps
- Filtering, sorting, copying, and pasting visualizations
- Downloading custom visuals from the gallery
- Modifying existing reports
- Creating and managing data dashboards
- Querying data with Power BI Q&A and Microsoft Cortana
- Sharing report and dashboards
- Using Power BI Desktop and mobile apps
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktopwith Gini von Courter2h 55m Intermediate
Learning Microsoft Business Intelligence Stackwith Ron Davis43m 39s Intermediate
1. Get Started with Power BI
2. Power BI Data Sources
3. Create a Report with Visualizations
4. Modify and Print a Report
5. Create a Dashboard
6. Ask Questions About Your Data
7. Share Data with Colleagues and Others
8. Use Power BI Desktop
9. Use Power BI Mobile Apps
Next steps1m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.