Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Connecting to a web data source, part of Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
- Power BI Desktop gives us the ability…to retrieve data from a webpage.…This is not the same as what you would see…in the Power Query tool, if you're familiar with that,…which allows you to search…for different data sources on the web.…So if you're not sure, if you don't have…the URL for the data you're going to find,…you might want to take a look at Power Query…and you'll find out more about that…in the Power BI in Depth course.…Here, though, we need a URL,…and I'm going to show you the form of the URL…we're going to use.…
This URL goes to a Microsoft site,…Microsoft Network Money Central,…to the investor pages, and it passes a parameter,…in this case, a stock symbol,…and return the quote for that stock.…If you were to simply take this string…and place it in your browser,…it would return the quote for Microsoft.…Now we're not going to quite do this,…although you could.…We're going to bring back some of the stock indices,…and that looks a little bit more like this.…
Each index symbol starts with a dollar sign.…So there's the Dow Jones Industrials,…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Installing and launching Power BI Desktop
- Connecting to Excel and CSV files
- Connecting to a database or web data
- Querying data
- Transforming data
- Creating relationship between tables
- Merging data
- Creating visualizations and reports
- Publishing to the Power BI service
- Sharing and unsharing reports
Skill Level Intermediate
Where is the course Power BI Features in Depth as mentioned throughout this course?
Power BI Features in Depth has been retired. Please see instead Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
1. Get Started
2. Get Data
3. Model Data: Shaping, Combining, and Merging Data
4. Create Visualizations and Reports
5. Share Your Work
Next steps1m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.