Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Connecting to a file: Excel, part of Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
- [Voiceover] Let's begin with Microsoft Excel.…We're going to connect to an Excel data source,…so I'm going to click Get Data, which is…the same as if I had chosen it here.…Notice Excel is at the top of my list.…Click and connect.…If you have access to the exercise files in the Chapter Two…folder, you'll find an exercise file called Median Age.…I'm going to double click to open this.…It's a small file, relatively speaking.…It has a total of six different worksheets in it.…
If you want to look at a worksheet you can…simply select it to preview it.…Notice that many of these sheets are simply providing…information, footnotes and so on.…The one I want is called Countries.…At the top you'll notice that the first row really…contains my headings, because the data navigator…won't make that assumption for me.…There are two ways I can fix this.…I could click Edit and drop into the query editor,…or I can fix it afterwards, which is what I'm going to do.…I'm simply going to click Load to load this data,…and I will see the entire set.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Installing and launching Power BI Desktop
- Connecting to Excel and CSV files
- Connecting to a database or web data
- Querying data
- Transforming data
- Creating relationship between tables
- Merging data
- Creating visualizations and reports
- Publishing to the Power BI service
- Sharing and unsharing reports
Skill Level Intermediate
Where is the course Power BI Features in Depth as mentioned throughout this course?
Power BI Features in Depth has been retired. Please see instead Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
Creating Excel Power Pivot and Power View Dashboardswith Ron Davis1h 12m Intermediate
Data Modeling with Excel Power Pivotwith Ron Davis1h 15m Intermediate
1. Get Started
2. Get Data
3. Model Data: Shaping, Combining, and Merging Data
4. Create Visualizations and Reports
5. Share Your Work
Next steps1m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.