Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Connecting to a database: Access, part of Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
- [Voiceover] Another place we can retrieve data from…is from a database.…Even though you use database-type functions in Excel,…Excel isn't a database in the sense that's meant here,…which is a relational database, the heavy hitters being…SQL Server, Oracle, and so on.…I'm going to show you how to connect to an access database.…The process is similar and much like the process for Excel.…Choose your database, click Connect, and if you have access…to the exercise files, Chapter 2 includes Contoso Sales,…which is an access database.…
A connection is established, and then…as with Excel when we saw multiple worksheets,…here we see multiple tables, and to preview a table…simply select it in the navigator, whatever table…you'd like to see.…Notice that some of the longer data sets are truncated…due to their size limitations.…This is a product list, sales,…a list of categories and sub-categories,…and notice that unlike the Excel data we imported earlier,…the field names or column names are accurately identified.…
That almost always happens with a database,…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Installing and launching Power BI Desktop
- Connecting to Excel and CSV files
- Connecting to a database or web data
- Querying data
- Transforming data
- Creating relationship between tables
- Merging data
- Creating visualizations and reports
- Publishing to the Power BI service
- Sharing and unsharing reports
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Excel Power Pivot and Power View Dashboardswith Ron Davis1h 12m Intermediate
Data Modeling with Excel Power Pivotwith Ron Davis1h 15m Intermediate
1. Get Started
2. Get Data
3. Model Data: Shaping, Combining, and Merging Data
4. Create Visualizations and Reports
5. Share Your Work
Next steps1m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.