Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding an index column, part of Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
- [Voiceover] If you've been working along…with me then this is the file as we completed…it at the end of the last movie.…And I suggested you save it as Index.…We'll be saving it again at the end of this movie.…Or if you've been working along you should…have something that looks just like this.…And if you look at our key you'll notice…that the key came in from each of those…separate data sets, each of those separate spreadsheet…tabs and therefore that key is pretty useless…because all it tells us is the alphabetical order of…a country's name within a continent.…
Not likely to be useful.…So I'd like to get rid of this key.…Remember where we are here though.…I'm actually in my data tab.…To do that I want to go to my editor.…So let's go to Edit Queries, All Countries,…and I'm going to right-click on the key and simply…remove it.…But I like having an index column.…It's useful because when you have an index column…then search happens more quickly.…You can match things up more easily.…So I'm going to do two things.…
The first thing I'm going to do is I'm…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Installing and launching Power BI Desktop
- Connecting to Excel and CSV files
- Connecting to a database or web data
- Querying data
- Transforming data
- Creating relationship between tables
- Merging data
- Creating visualizations and reports
- Publishing to the Power BI service
- Sharing and unsharing reports
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Excel Power Pivot and Power View Dashboardswith Ron Davis1h 12m Intermediate
Data Modeling with Excel Power Pivotwith Ron Davis1h 15m Intermediate
1. Get Started
2. Get Data
3. Model Data: Shaping, Combining, and Merging Data
4. Create Visualizations and Reports
5. Share Your Work
Next steps1m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.