Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding spatial data, part of Power BI Features in Depth.
…Geographic information, also known as geospatial data or simply…spatial data, is data in a table that identifies the…geographic location of a particular place somewhere on the planet.…There's also spatial data that's used for Mars,…and spatial data that's used for the universe.…But normally, when we talk about spacial data, and when we talk about data that…we're going to be able to represent visually…on a map, we're talking about earthbound data.…
And we can be talking about person-made…features, such as cities, towns, bridges, roads.…We can be talking about natural features, like oceans and rivers.…Normally, spatial data is stored in one of these formats.…First, latitude and longitude, also referred to…as lat and long, or sometimes they…leave out the n, and it's lat and log, is what it sounds like.…This is specific information that points to a particular place on earth.…
And we can use this in a GPS, we can use this in Power Map.…You can use this in any one of a number of different…systems because almost every geographic system is keyed to latitude and longitude.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Understanding data analysis and business intelligence
- Installing Office BI add-ins
- Searching for online data with Power Query
- Shaping data in the Query Editor
- Connecting to data sources
- Modeling data with Power Pivot
- Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with PowerPoint
- Visualizing geospatial data with Power Map
- Creating and formatting Power View reports
- Sharing your data using Power BI for Office 365
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started: Self-Service, Power BI, and BI Tools
2. Using Power Query to Get Data
3. Modeling Your Data with Power Pivot
4. Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with Power Pivot
5. Expanding the Data Model in Power Pivot
6. Visualizing Geospatial Data with Power Map
7. Creating and Formatting Power View Reports
8. Creating Other Power View Visualizations
9. Sharing Your Data Using Power BI for Office 365
Next steps2m 59s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.