Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding DAX functions in Power Pivot, part of Power BI Features in Depth.
…As cool as it is to be able to…add, subtract, multiply, and divide, here in Power Pivot, it's…even better to use the kinds of formulas and…functions that we have available for us in Microsoft Excel.…Things like sum and count.…But also the ability to be able…to retrieve data with something like view lookup.…So just as Excel has a formula language, Power Pivot has an extension…of that language and it's called Dax, which is the data expression language.…
The easiest way to think about it is it's much like the language that we use to…create formulas using functions in Excel, but it's more specific to data sets.…So, let's take a look at the different…types of functions that are available to us.…Index for use in Excel, Power Pivots.…The first set of functions are time and date functions, and…I'm not going to list all the functions by any means.…But to give you an idea of what's here that you would also expect to see…somewhere like Excel, functions like today and now, month, week, year, day and so on.…
Then the filter functions return all records distinct…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Understanding data analysis and business intelligence
- Installing Office BI add-ins
- Searching for online data with Power Query
- Shaping data in the Query Editor
- Connecting to data sources
- Modeling data with Power Pivot
- Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with PowerPoint
- Visualizing geospatial data with Power Map
- Creating and formatting Power View reports
- Sharing your data using Power BI for Office 365
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started: Self-Service, Power BI, and BI Tools
2. Using Power Query to Get Data
3. Modeling Your Data with Power Pivot
4. Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with Power Pivot
5. Expanding the Data Model in Power Pivot
6. Visualizing Geospatial Data with Power Map
7. Creating and Formatting Power View Reports
8. Creating Other Power View Visualizations
9. Sharing Your Data Using Power BI for Office 365
Next steps2m 59s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.