Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Marking a data table, part of Power BI Features in Depth.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…The workbook I have open is called, MarkDateTable.xlsx.…It's very similar to the table that we were using in prior movies.…But in this particular case, the columns that we see are,…month name, state and requests and we are summarizing that as account.…When I look at my information here, month, names, and so on,…I'm clear that these are date-bound, that January is all about date values.…
And if you think about when I sort or filter in…a table in Excel, and I have a column of dates, the…choices I get in Excel 2013 are things like this month, next…month, today, tomorrow, last week, this fiscal year, those kind of choices.…But if I click here to take a look at the filters I have available, I have label…filters and value filters for month name but I don't have filters for date.…
And that's because it is not clear to Power Pivot that…the information in this column, these month names, are actually dates.…So it's happy to treat my month names as numbers, it's happy to…treat my year numbers as values, but it doesn't know that they're dates.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Understanding data analysis and business intelligence
- Installing Office BI add-ins
- Searching for online data with Power Query
- Shaping data in the Query Editor
- Connecting to data sources
- Modeling data with Power Pivot
- Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with PowerPoint
- Visualizing geospatial data with Power Map
- Creating and formatting Power View reports
- Sharing your data using Power BI for Office 365
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started: Self-Service, Power BI, and BI Tools
2. Using Power Query to Get Data
3. Modeling Your Data with Power Pivot
4. Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with Power Pivot
5. Expanding the Data Model in Power Pivot
6. Visualizing Geospatial Data with Power Map
7. Creating and Formatting Power View Reports
8. Creating Other Power View Visualizations
9. Sharing Your Data Using Power BI for Office 365
Next steps2m 59s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.