Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a measure, part of Power BI Features in Depth.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…The calculations and hierarchies that we've created previously, are…going to used largely for labels, columns, rows and filters.…Now, we're going to move into measures.…And measures are formulas that are created specifically for use in the values area.…There actually are power pivot data that we are summarizing.…Measures that we use all the time are things like…sum, average, min, max, count, count numbers and so on.…
You can also create your own formulas using Dax if you wish.…And normally, we create this and a pivot…table, by simply adding something to the values.…So for example, If I go to sales, and say I'd…like to see what our net sales amount is, and click,.…This doesn't say net sales amount, it says some of net sales amount.…This is what is called an implicit measure.…
By adding data to the table, as opposed to labels, we create a measure.…But it's fleeting, it only exists during the…time that we're actually using it in this table.…If I remove this.…It's gone, and it doesn't exist anymore.…But these implicit measures are created in memory,…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Understanding data analysis and business intelligence
- Installing Office BI add-ins
- Searching for online data with Power Query
- Shaping data in the Query Editor
- Connecting to data sources
- Modeling data with Power Pivot
- Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with PowerPoint
- Visualizing geospatial data with Power Map
- Creating and formatting Power View reports
- Sharing your data using Power BI for Office 365
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started: Self-Service, Power BI, and BI Tools
2. Using Power Query to Get Data
3. Modeling Your Data with Power Pivot
4. Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with Power Pivot
5. Expanding the Data Model in Power Pivot
6. Visualizing Geospatial Data with Power Map
7. Creating and Formatting Power View Reports
8. Creating Other Power View Visualizations
9. Sharing Your Data Using Power BI for Office 365
Next steps2m 59s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.