Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Connecting to an Excel data source, part of Power BI Features in Depth.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…Right now I'm in a new blank workbook and I want to show…you how to add a couple of other data types to Power Query.…The first is how would I add something from Excel?…And you might want to ask, why would I add something from Excel?…Well, you'd add something because you want to be able to manipulate the data.…And the ways that we can do that.…In PowerQuery, using the editor to be able…shape it, to be able to transform it, split…columns, and so on, because once you're familiar with…that query editor, it's a great tool to have.…
So, I'm simply going to go to PowerQuery and say that I would like to add some data…from a file and the file I want is sitting in your exercise files,…chapter 2, and it is MedianAge.…This information is coming to us from this fabulous data source called GapMinder.org.…If you're not familiar with it and you…like working with World data, or data about…economies, and data about ages and health, those…kinds of things, you want to know this site.…
It's really fabulous.…So we're going to grab median age from Gap Minder.org…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Understanding data analysis and business intelligence
- Installing Office BI add-ins
- Searching for online data with Power Query
- Shaping data in the Query Editor
- Connecting to data sources
- Modeling data with Power Pivot
- Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with PowerPoint
- Visualizing geospatial data with Power Map
- Creating and formatting Power View reports
- Sharing your data using Power BI for Office 365
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started: Self-Service, Power BI, and BI Tools
2. Using Power Query to Get Data
3. Modeling Your Data with Power Pivot
4. Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with Power Pivot
5. Expanding the Data Model in Power Pivot
6. Visualizing Geospatial Data with Power Map
7. Creating and Formatting Power View Reports
8. Creating Other Power View Visualizations
9. Sharing Your Data Using Power BI for Office 365
Next steps2m 59s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.