Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Cleaning up the data model, part of Power BI Features in Depth.
…Have this lovely data model, and it has columns in it that I don't need to have.…Now I could just leave them there, but if I do then that makes the model…less useful, or at least a little less friendly for other users, and even for me.…For example I have no need to have phone numbers in here, we won't be using them.…So, the phone numbers can leave from Catalog Request.…I don't need necessarily to have the fiscal year for all…dates because the years are the same, but I'll leave them.…But ZIP codes, I have some columns that are absolutely empty.…For example, there are no counties listed, no classifications, no populations.…And so I have two different things that I can do.…One possibility is, I can simply delete the column.…So if I know that I will not want to use this column at all,…I can select it and I can say I'd like to just get rid of it.…
I can also, though, hide it from the client tools.…And by hiding it, it's not going to be visible…when people are trying to work with this Power Pivot.…So I'm just going to hide this.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Understanding data analysis and business intelligence
- Installing Office BI add-ins
- Searching for online data with Power Query
- Shaping data in the Query Editor
- Connecting to data sources
- Modeling data with Power Pivot
- Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with PowerPoint
- Visualizing geospatial data with Power Map
- Creating and formatting Power View reports
- Sharing your data using Power BI for Office 365
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started: Self-Service, Power BI, and BI Tools
2. Using Power Query to Get Data
3. Modeling Your Data with Power Pivot
4. Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with Power Pivot
5. Expanding the Data Model in Power Pivot
6. Visualizing Geospatial Data with Power Map
7. Creating and Formatting Power View Reports
8. Creating Other Power View Visualizations
9. Sharing Your Data Using Power BI for Office 365
Next steps2m 59s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.