Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding a related column, part of Power BI Features in Depth.
…In our Contoso sales data model, we have a product table.…This version of the data model is called Related Column,…and it's in the Exercise Files folder in Chapter 5.…We see here Product Names and Product Descriptions and…then a Product Subcategory, which we can take a look…at the icon, and we can see that it's related…to another table in Product Subcategory which is right here.…And we have subcategories, and they then have a link to a category table.…
Visually, it looks like this.…We have a product, like headphones or a green or silver MP3 player.…All of those happen to be in…the same category but in two different subcategories.…Headphones are in Headphones.…MP3 players are in the MP4/MP3 player subcategory.…And they participate in the Audio category.…So, one way I can report on these is with different tables.…But sometimes it's useful, when we're working with…one table, to be able to say, I…can see not just the product, but the…sub category and the category that it participates in.…
And the way we do that is we pull those…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Understanding data analysis and business intelligence
- Installing Office BI add-ins
- Searching for online data with Power Query
- Shaping data in the Query Editor
- Connecting to data sources
- Modeling data with Power Pivot
- Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with PowerPoint
- Visualizing geospatial data with Power Map
- Creating and formatting Power View reports
- Sharing your data using Power BI for Office 365
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started: Self-Service, Power BI, and BI Tools
2. Using Power Query to Get Data
3. Modeling Your Data with Power Pivot
4. Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with Power Pivot
5. Expanding the Data Model in Power Pivot
6. Visualizing Geospatial Data with Power Map
7. Creating and Formatting Power View Reports
8. Creating Other Power View Visualizations
9. Sharing Your Data Using Power BI for Office 365
Next steps2m 59s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.