Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding calculated columns, part of Power BI Features in Depth.
…Our data model is more than the sum of…the external data we've imported in the relationships we've built.…We can also create different types of calculations within our data model.…The first type I would like to show you is a calculated column.…And a calculated column is based on columns that we already have.…So, I can add, subtract, multiply, divide.…That type of thing, to get information in another column in every single row.…
What I'd like to do is create two calculated columns in our sales table.…The first is, I'd like to be able to…calculate what the actual amount of sales is net.…So, we have a sales amount.…But in some of the rows, we've also given a discount.…And, we've also had a return amount.…So the actual net sales needs to take…into account that some sales came back, were returned.…And that we allowed some discounts that further decreased the sales amount.…
The second formula I'd like to create then, would be to take that…net sales amount, sales net of discounts and returns, and subtract total cost, or…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Understanding data analysis and business intelligence
- Installing Office BI add-ins
- Searching for online data with Power Query
- Shaping data in the Query Editor
- Connecting to data sources
- Modeling data with Power Pivot
- Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with PowerPoint
- Visualizing geospatial data with Power Map
- Creating and formatting Power View reports
- Sharing your data using Power BI for Office 365
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started: Self-Service, Power BI, and BI Tools
2. Using Power Query to Get Data
3. Modeling Your Data with Power Pivot
4. Enhancing PivotTables and PivotCharts with Power Pivot
5. Expanding the Data Model in Power Pivot
6. Visualizing Geospatial Data with Power Map
7. Creating and Formatting Power View Reports
8. Creating Other Power View Visualizations
9. Sharing Your Data Using Power BI for Office 365
Next steps2m 59s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.